Saturday, December 3, 2011

Dear Nana



Dearest Nana,


I wasn't happy when I found out Ma was pregnant with you. I didn't like you because I am too old to have a baby sister. I'm used to having just two sisters all my life. I also got scared because people might think that you are my child. Our age gap is so big I will pass as your mother.


It all changed when you were born. I would visit you in the nursery in between my classes. When I knew you are coming home with us, I cut my Math class just to be home earlier than your Ate Eun and Ate B because I was really excited to touch and smell you. Other than Wowa, I was the first to carry you right after you got out of the hospital. I often give you a bath before I leave for school. I borrow you every night and let you sleep beside me even if I have an early class the next day. You brought joy to the whole family. You are truly a blessing from God!


Today, it's been three years, two months and a day since you were born and you still put a smile in everyone's faces. You have grown tall, you are potty trained, you already choose what clothes you want to wear, you talk like an adult, you brush your teeth by yourself, you know what a Macbook is--Ahhhh, you are growing up too fast I want to slow it down. As selfish as it sounds, I do not want you to grow up anymore because your spontaneity is too cute.


Next year, you are going to school already. I promise to take a leave just to be with you on your first day of school. I hope you make a lot of friends and have so much fun playing with kids your age. We won't pressure you to be at the top of your class nor pressure you to do any extra curricular activity. We just want you to do what you love and enjoy your youth. We won't get mad if your Math score is 76. Who needs that extra one point anyway? As long as you do your best, then that will do.


Whatever it is that you want to do in life, we will support you 100% all the way. Just promise us you'll be a good person.


Love,
Ate Erika

No comments:

Post a Comment