Sunday, July 17, 2011

I've always had a fascination about sandbars. Visible for some time, and then one moment it's gone. It's like magic to children while sandbar is to Riki.

sandbar

Two months before our flight, I've always had Guimaras on my mind. All plans have been laid out. I put on too much effort researching on my itinerary. I already know where to stay and what to do in Guimaras until I have encountered a travel blog featuring this off-the-beaten path in Iloilo.

The night before our flight, I thought about not pushing through with this trip because there were two typhoons in Manila and going to island involves a boat ride. I prayed to the gods and goddesses of sun for the rain to stop and the typhoon to leave the Philippines.



And then I knew the gods and goddesses of sun love me because when we arrived at Iloilo, there are no traces of rain and typhoon.

Iloilo Airport's facade resembles NAIA 2 Terminal

Iloilo Airport

Tourist brochures and flyers on the arrival area. (I always hoard flyers/brochures in airports when I arrive at a certain place)

Brochures/Flyers

Going to the city from the airport is easy as breeze. There are vans and cabs waiting ten steps away from the airport. Since we are on very strict budget, we took the van for Php 50 going to SM City. But in our case, we were asked to pay Php 70 each so as not to wait for more passengers. We were 6 in the van including the driver.

Travel time from the airport to SM City took 25 minutes. There was no traffic maybe because it was Sunday and it was still early.

From SM City, we took Leganes bound jeep and took off at Tagbak Terminal. Tagbak is where we took a bus to Concepcion for 120 pesos that's going to take 3 hours. (It actually reminded me of the bus station in Cebu when I went to Bantayan Island.) The bus had no aircon and it stops every now and then to pick up passengers. Hence, the 3 hour bus ride for a distance of 120 kilometers off the city. (That's Tagaytay plus 40 kilometers. I can drive to Tagaytay for an hour!!)



From Concepcion, we were fetched by the boatman who happens to be the relative of the owner of the island. The boat ride took 25 minutes for Php 1500 round trip. The sea was very calm.



I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how big the sandbar was. It looks like it connects the two islands from afar.

Here is our little island for two days.

Sandbar Island

Sandbar Island is occupied by the owner and his family. He built nipa huts all over to accommodate guests who wants to stay on his island. Staying on Bulubadiangan Island or simply called the Sandbar Island, made me closer to nature. There is no electricity nor running water available in the island. The light bulb in the nipa hut is powered by a solar panel, I think.

This is our humble abode for two days. Inside the hut are two bamboo beds.

Nipa Hut

See how the sandbar almost connects the two islands

Sandbar Island

We bought fresh fish from the main land before heading to the island, Mang Sonny's family was the one who cooked our food for two days for a very minimal fee.



There was really nothing to do so we checked out the sandbar and took some photos.



We didn't hesitate when Mang Sonny's family offered to take us their giant clam garden.

Giant Clam

Giant Clam

The sand is not as fine as the sand in Bantayan and there was really nothing interesting to see underwater. (Hello, Anilao, if you know what I mean.) 

I couldn't thank Mang Sonny and his family enough for taking care of us when we stayed in their island. They were really warm and hospitable. I will definitely go back to Sandbar Island Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment